Sunday, December 27, 2009



Grandpa.

Just the other day Logan and Cody were looking at our Christmas tree and one of the ordaments had my name spelled wrong. It was spelled Janelle and as you should know it should be Jenelle. Cody noticed that it was spelled wrong- smart boy. But when we were talking about it, it made me think of Grandpa. I don't remember when it started- definitely grade school sometime, but he decided that my name should now be just "E". In my entire name I have a total of 6 E's in it. Grandpa thought that was a lot, then came the name "E". Grandpa was such a wonderful Grandpa. I loved watching him and Grandma and how much you can see that they love each other. He was a quiet but very ornery person! I loved that when ever I called them, they were always both on the phone.

My best friend and I spent a summer in Alaska hoping to make money working in the canaries in between school years. We were frustrated because none of the job opportunites were working out. I remember getting a letter just from Grandpa in the mail. It was a just a note in his own writing encouraging me not to give up. I loved that note and still have it. He was a great Grandpa and I feel blessed by having him for the time that we did.

He died Christmas night and Aunt Wendy was gracious enough to watch my kids while Jeff and I drove to Salem to be with him. Saturday morning while eating pancakes with Uncle Jeff and Aunt Wendy, Logan stopped and realized while she was here and her mom wasn't. So she asked Uncle Jeff, how is Great Grandpa? Uncle Jeff told her that he was in heaven now. After a moment, Logan said: "I guess he is looking down on us from heaven watching us eat pancakes then!" Got to love that!!

No comments: